Pages

Friday, September 11, 2020

Day Eight: Empowered!

 

Rangatiratanga - chieftainship, the right to exercise authority....voice/choice /ownership.

The catch phrases used to start our sessions today. The key idea being education can empower people to boldly step into uncharted experiences and opportunities.

By the end of this session I neither felt empowered nor bold. It still takes relationship and safe parameters to build trust for risk taking, even in a digital educational environment.

We were told about the google exam that it seemed you had to jump through hoops just to be able to set and that you were expected to have the credit card facilities to make happen for yourself. Granted most teacher do but it reminded me of Tanzania; where you have to already have an education to get an education. You have to have paid your own primary schooling to be able to receive the free secondary school education. Therefore the system providing a barrier to participants without actually turning any away.  

Above is a 'thing' (I use that phrase because I didn't catch the term for what we were making) by using computational thinking (programme coding). It was my first venture into using 'Scratch'. I do see how some in my class would enjoy the creating aspects of it and sharing it. I also explored using other basic block coding. My class would connect well with the Mindcraft and Flappy Games examples that were shared. As a classroom teacher I need to upskill more to make teaching coding a less dortining reality for me, although I do see how students with lower literacy levels can still achieve success in coding. 


3 comments:

  1. Kia ora Tania,
    I agree the google exam appears difficult to get to. Happy to help out if you need it. I know Amie will help as needed too.
    I like your Scratch project - a great first step in coding. Hoping the next steps are a bit easier.

    Arohanui,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Maria,
    I think online learning doesn't always bode well for people with dyslexia so when I was asked a question and was just referred back to a very busy document my heart for learning sank. Though I know for most the document was probably step by step useful.
    With time and support from helpful facilitators I think I will get the basics of coding because it seems use a flowchart logic in it's creating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morena Tania,
    I'm definitely here to help, as I said on Friday. The exam signup process did seem a lot of information. More than happy also to help with anything else that may support you in preparing for the exam and its content. I'll send through the using filters in Google Sheets clip, as promised as well. Hope you found the conditional formatting one easy enough to follow? In addition, it would be lovely to come into your class sometime to support with using Scratch, if you feel that would be beneficial.
    Have a wonderful week,
    Amie

    ReplyDelete

Please structure your comments as follows:
Positive - Something done well
Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say
Helpful - Give some ideas for next time or ask a question you want to know more about